Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Love Story For The Ages

This weekend, I flew back to New York for my dear friend Jessica's wedding. She married Andy, a man who after four years together still has stars in his eyes when he looks at her. They are so in love.

But Jess and Andy weren't the only two in love at that wedding. I fell in love too. Whole-heartedly, head-over-heels in love...with a dress. Nay, it was more than just a dress, it was a stunning, head-turning gown, worn not by the bride, but by an innocent bystander guest. Please don't get me wrong, Jess radiated in her magnificent Junko Yoshioka strapless bridal gown. It hugged in all the right places (though as an avid runner, Jess doesn't really have any that are wrong) and in it, she was by far the most beautiful woman in that room, if not the entire borough.

But as a woman who looks at and silently judges every guest's attire (don't judge, you know you do it too) I have to say that these uber-chic Brooklyn wedding guests were for the most part, up to Shop Girl standards. But this dress made me want to own it NOW. The fabric was so smooth, the deep red color so rich and the cut so pretty that it made me want to reach out and touch it.

Sitting at the cocktail hour, my friends Ashley, Mariella and I whispered feverishly about who the designer could possibly be. Badgley Mischka, Calvin Klein, Vera Wang, we threw out couture designer after couture designer. I even thought it could be BCBG but that was vetoed after we decided the fabric looked too high-end.

Enough! On our way from cocktail hour to reception, I decided to put an end to this debate. Separating myself from my group of friends, I quietly attached myself to the dress's...er, I mean girl's group. Gently tapping her on the shoulder, I made a new friend.

No, not Mr. Badgley or Mr. Mischka. Nor Mr. Klein or Ms. Wang. The dress, surprisingly enough was...
ABS Allen Schwartz! I nearly tripped when she told me. What?! It's affordable??? I almost didn't believe her. Lo and behold, I came home today and looked it up online. The girl's no liar.

ABS Allen Schwartz Strapless Gown with Back Bow
Crimson
$194.50
Zappos.com
If you're a size 8, you're in luck. They have two left, but only that size.

If you're not a size 8, I found the same dress at Bloomingdales. Just not in the color I saw at the wedding and not for the ridiculous sale price above.


ABS Allen Schwartz Strapless Gown with Back Bow
Black or Vintage Vanilla
$407
Bloomingdales.com

My dress and I are registered at Christian Louboutin, Judith Leiber and Harry Winston. Invitation to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment