Monday, February 21, 2011

Commitment Phobe

I have been on A LOT of bad dates. Dates that I haven't even made it all the way through, dates during which I have feared for my personal safety and dates that I've known were over the second they began. And at the ripe old age of 27 (just go with it) I am happily...uh, satisfactorily...uh, begrudgingly...meh...single. So I understand that commitment can be scary.

Can I commit to this man or woman for the rest of my life? Can I commit to this look for an entire season? Can I commit to this dress for a whole cocktail party?

Why bother? Get the look without any commitment. Trends come and go in clothing but they also come and go in hair, make-up and nail polish. A hair cut takes too long to grow out if you hate it, most women are comfortable in their make-up routines and know in what colors they look good. The easiest and least commitment-phobic way is trying new colors, new looks and new ideas on your nails.

A few nail trends for Spring below:

You don't have to be a bride to wear a little something blue. 
Pale blue nails hit the runway at Nicholas K.


Do it yourself option:
Dashing Diva Day in the Park
$8
dashingdiva.com


I am a huge fan of black nails. HUGE! When I lived in New York, I would walk into my neighborhood salon and the women who worked there would look up from their tables and all cheerfully say, "Black!" They didn't know my name but they knew I chose it every time.

 Gunmetal grey is the New Black. Super shiny and oh-so-chic.
3.1 Phillip Lim sent these metallic nails down the runway.


Do it yourself option:
Essie Sew Psyched
$8
essie.com


And just for the heck of it, because life's more fun when you add sparkles, two more Spring nail trends to take to your salon next time. 

Butter London created both the Golden Goth and Mini Moons below. Genius!



No one, and I mean no one, likes to get her nails done more than Shop Girl. Women of Pittsburgh, I have tried more nail salons than you can imagine and I highly recommend Envy Nail Salon in Mt. Lebanon and Shadyside. Clean, courteous and decently priced. They also do gel manicures, if you're looking for a longer term commitment.

Envy Nail Salon
300 Mt. Lebanon Blvd
412-668-0175

Envy II Nail Salon
221 South Highland Avenue
412-365-2000

1 comment:

  1. Hi Raina! It's MaryLynne. I just started a blog and my dad mentioned you had one too! Love it! Hope all is well and you are really making me want to go get my nails done! :-)

    ReplyDelete